In the Event of an Emergency

Please note that the Consulate of Sweden has no role in evacuations or rescue operations as these matters are solely handled by American authorities. In case of a personal emergency, Swedish citizens are welcome to call the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, D.C. at (202) 467-2600 and follow the instructions. For more information visit the Embassy website.

Regular Passports

Due to the rules of the new biometric passports, you can only renew or obtain a regular Swedish passport at the Embassy in Washington, D.C., General Consulate in New York or the Mobile Passport Station.

Read more about how to renew your passport HERE for adults, and HERE for minors.

The Mobile Passport Station tries to visit the Consulate once or twice a year and during these days you may apply to renew your regular passport. For further information regarding the Mobile Passport Station, please visit the Embassy’s pages HERE.

If you have questions about applying for passports in Sweden, please see the Swedish Police’s website on Passports and ID-cards or call them at +46 77 114 1400. You can only get a passport in the name you are registered as in Sweden. You can request an extract from the population register (utdrag ur folkbokföringen) by contacting the Swedish Tax Agency  (Skatteverket) at +46 8 564 851 60.

Emergency Passports

There is a possibility for Swedes in WA/OR area to apply for an emergency passport at the Consulate. The application is sent (by the Consulate) to the Consulate General in San Francisco and can be picked up here three business days after the day of application. Both the application and the pick-up must be done in person. Please note that there are several restrictions that apply to an emergency passport. The checklist for an emergency passport and more information on its restrictions is found at the Consulate General’s Website on Passport Applications.

Driver’s License

As of May 1 2017, holders of Swedish driver’s licenses will not be able to renew their license if they do not permanently reside in Sweden. More information on the change can be found HERE.

Coordination Number and Name Registration

A child applicant who was born abroad and has never had a Swedish passport must first be added to the Swedish population register by applying for a coordination number.The application is free of charge and can be filed at all Swedish consulates in the US and at the Embassy in Washington. The child must be present when the application is filed, and must be accompanied by at least one legal guardian, however a signature is needed by both legal guardians. Please visit the Swedish Embassy’s website on Coordination Number and Name Registration for further information.

Taxes and Retirement Benefits

You can read more about Swedish pensions in English HERE.

For questions about your pension, you can contact the Swedish Pensions Agency at +46 498 200 700.

Voting in Swedish Elections

Read more on this at Sweden Abroad’s website on voting in Swedish elections.

Other Inquiries

Moving to Sweden

Planning on moving to Sweden? Visit the Swedish Migration Board for more information.

Schengen Visa

Kindly note that the Consulate in Seattle does not process Schengen visas. Please find more information about Schengen visas on the Swedish Embassy’s webpage. For questions regarding Schengen visas, please call (347)-329-2738.

List of foreign citizens who require Visa for entry into Sweden


If you have questions about American visas, green cards and citizenship, please contact:

American Embassy in Stockholm at +46 8 783 53 00.

U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services at 1-800-375-5283.